First my pick for best recent cover art from the most recent Nature Medicine
Onto the papers!
I’m always fascinated by the mycobiota and this appears to be the most in depth study to date of the impacts of the mycobiota on the host. Really fantastic combination of different models and technologies to define the host-fungal itneractions
- Characterised the mycobiota biogeography along the gastrointestinal tract and identified a subset of fungi associated with the intestinal mucosa of mice and humans (See fig above).
- Used RNASeq to define the impact of fungal colonisation on colonic epithelial cells.
- Many of the immune phenotyping done with flow cytometry. Found mucosal associated fungi induces the production of IL-22 by CD4+ T cells
- Found a mucosal fungal consortium is protective against C. rodentium-induced colitis and modulates social behaviour.
- 199 participants with acute coronary syndrom + cohort of 970 controls.
- shotgun metagenomics sequencing of stool samples
- serum metabolomics
- Identified a previously unknown bacterial species of the Clostridiaceae family, which was depleted in the ACS cohort, and was significantly associated with the levels of 15 circulating metabolites
Also in Nature Medicine in the same week was the following
- >1200 people sampled in total including controls and ischemic heart disease.
- Identified diet as a major confounder when comparing between groups
- Identified a change in enterotypes (people are still using enterotypes!?) and a change in gene richness and bacterial load between disease/control groups
- Identified several metabolome related changes predicted of disease.
Someone should probably do a meta analysis of these + other major datasets 👀
- Combining CYTOF, scRNASeq & mass cytometry on cells from 24 donors across three groups
- Nice to see single cell multi-omics datasets moving into decent numbers of replicates.
Other articles I wanted to highlight
- Multi-omics data integration reveals metabolome as the top predictor of the cervicovaginal microenvironment – PLOS Computational Biology
- Virome characterization of game animals in China reveals a spectrum of emerging pathogens – Cell
- Multi-omics evaluation of SARS-CoV-2 infected mouse lungs reveals dynamics of host responses – iScience
- Novel feature selection method via kernel tensor decomposition for improved multi-omics data analysis – BMC Medical Genomics
- Influenza virus infection history shapes antibody responses to influenza vaccination – Nature Medicine